Saturday, June 03, 2006

O Canada! (Do You Get It Now??)

Good work by our cousins north of the border. It looks like they forestalled some truly nasty operations.

Note the following, gleaned from the article linked above:

1. They had more ANFO than McVeigh and Nichols used to blow up the federal building in OKC.
2. They were "mainly Canadian citizens".
3. They were targeting sites in Ontario.
4. They appeared to have been inspired by Al-Qaeda but have no direct links to it.

I'm very glad that the Mounties and the CSIS nipped these idiots in the bud, and I hope this serves as a wake-up call to our great neighbors to the north.

Which brings me to my next point. I would gladly welcome greater military participation in the war by Canadian forces. They're good; small, but high quality. We tend to think of Canada as a nation as being peacenik-y, which is true to an extent. But their forces are on the same level as ours, the British and the Australians. For a very good look at Canada's best and brightest in Afghanistan, go see this post on Michael Yon's site. It's an eye-opener. Yes, as the one soldier says, they do have a long warrior tradition. (See here for more evidence. And don't forget about McBride; he knew all about Canada's fighting potential.) I look forward to the day when I can say to a Canadian soldier, "Welcome aboard. What took you so long?"

jpp

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom the Redhunter said...

Did you also notice that all of the arrested had Muslim names? No accident that, I think.

But according to our dear Secretary of Transportion Mineta we're all to be searched equally when getting on airplanes.


But yes, I am glad that the Canadians caught them too.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home