Sunday, July 02, 2006

Thoroughbreds Grill, R.I.P.


I went yesterday, growler in hand, to a great local establishment, Thoroughbreds Grill and Brewing. There weren’t many cars in the lot, but I thought well, maybe it’s just an off-day. When I got closer I saw the blinds were drawn and the patio furniture was gone. Uh-oh. Sure enough, a sign on the door said, “Closed, gone bankrupt.”

DAMN.

This has happened to me before. I was a regular at Virginia Beverage Company in Old Town Alexandria, where I had a mug and even picture on the wall.

I really liked Thoroughbreds. I liked the food, I like the staff, I liked the beer. And they liked me. I was recognized when I came in and got great service. I had a nice little ritual: I would come in on a Friday night, and get my growler filled with 50 Cat IPA. I could (and did) drink that ale by the liter. The cost was $7.06 so I’d give them $10.06 and call it even. Sometimes I had son-and-heir with me, and I would say to him, one day you too will enjoy this. The whole thing was extraordinarily pleasant and comfortable. I can’t tell you how upset I am.

jpp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home