Monday, December 24, 2007

Blood On The Hunting Knife!

I went out to some private land this past saturday afternoon, as the guest of someone who is a member of the club that leases the hunting rights there. It's near Warrenton, VA. I didn't see a thing, deer-wise, but my hunting buddy, Steve O. (VMI '87) nailed a doe with his 7mm Magnum. I asked him if I could do the gutting, since I'd never done it before and needed to know how. Plus, I really wanted to share in the success.

So, the hunting knife which had been bloodless since 2000 saw its first action. I did OK, I must say. I'm not sure I scored over a C-, but I felt good about it. We'll have the meat in about three weeks.

Other items of note from that day: Despite seeing no deer, I did have a delightful afternoon. About 200-300 meters from my stand was a large beaver pond, and from it flew the largest flock (skein?) of ducks I have ever seen. Normally I see them around here in pairs and threes, and if I see ten or tweleve I think that's a lot. Here, there were at least 60, probably more. What a sight. And a good education too-- I got to hear all of the calls and sounds they make, the quacks and the chuckles. Good stuff.

And it made me think again how important it is to conserve the existing wild lands even in suburban and semi-suburban counties. No wild lands, no wild life-- no beavers, no beaver ponds; no ponds, no ducks. Hunters are the best conservationists around. We need to be more vocal.

(And I *will* be getting one of these.)

5 Comments:

Blogger H. Carvey said...

Merry Christmas, BR!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Countertop said...

heh!

Congrats and Merry Merry Christmas.

Looks like (coming up on the end of deer season) I finally found some private land to hunt on. And its in MIddleberg which is in Loudon so I'm actually going to get to hunt on it later this month.

Hopefully it will be set for next year. But congrats on the deer. Hope he shared some meat with you!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As to that deer buggering tool from Cabela's......... doesn't it defeat the purpose (Keeping the contents of the deer's guts INSIDE the guts? and away from the meat?) of proper field dressing? Tearing the animals rectum from its colon, it seems to me, would allow contents of the colon to spill inside the body, leading some to possibly comment "This tastes like $hit."........ Might not be a problem late season, but in November, the deer eat everything they can find, and so are always "full of it".

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with jimbob. Knives are for gutting. If you want to take the easy way out, don't hunt. I can't wait to get out there and get my hands dirty. I just blew a ton of money on brand new equipment from sportsmans guide, including a new Puma from their Knife page. If you're looking for a new blade they have a nice selection and the prices are solid.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Joy said...


Dear Sir/Madam
I can consider myself as a lucky b eing after reading through your wonderful article.
However, i will request that you write more on the same topic to further expanciate on the knowledge
I have some suggested topics as you can see below. Kindly accept my comment so we can stay intouch with each other.
Ativan
buy ativan online
depression symptoms
Buy Ativan (Lorazepam) Online
buy lorazepam overnight delivery
buy benzodiazepines online
buy lorazepam online cheap
buy lorazepam online
buy lorazepam online canada
whow much cash does it take to buy 90 lorazepam 2mg?
can you take lorazepam while pregnant
lorazepam street name
what does a lorazepam pill look like
how long does lorazepam stay in your system
how long does lorazepam take to work for sleep
how much lorazepam to overdose
how many mg of lorazepam to overdose
kwhat is the medication lorazepam used for
what is lorazepam
percocet 10 325 espaƱol
vitaros cream reviews
buy ativan 2mg tablet
ativan 2mg tablet online order
ativan 2mg online order
where to buy anxiety medication in canada
Thanks very much for reading. We await your response.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home