Monday, January 21, 2008

That M1 Carbine Keeps Calling My Name

I took Son & Heir in to Loudoun Guns the other day to soak in the atmosphere, when I spied with own covetous eye an M1 carbine, made by Inland. It called out to me, so I had to pick it up.

You know, I don't think I had ever really handled one before. I'll be damned if that wasn't a neat, light, handy little piece. Now I know why Farnam extolls its virtues as a solid "100-meter" truck gun, when paired with the new CorBon loadings.

Two other aspects appeal to me. The first is that it's a military antique, and so even though it's a magazine-fed military semi-auto, it doesn't suffer from the stigma attached to "black rifles" and AK clones. Nor would it be subject to bans and confiscations.

The second is that it's set up for the proper tactical carry, with port-side sling mountings. I would guess that just about any modern M4-sized two- or three-point sling would fit it.

Hmmmm...

The price tag on this one was $850, which squares with others on GunBroker.com.

Just the other day in a conversation with another Marine gunman, I said that I'd only get an original (i.e. WWII) M1, but wouldn't want to pay more than about $400 for it. Might have to reconsider.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but you will drop some major coin for that Corbon ammo...

I would consider working up a hot handload and loading your own (with, say, a Dillon).

12:18 PM  
Blogger Mule said...

Have you thought about going through CMP?

http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm

You could also buy an IAI or a similar repro, and put a Fulton Armory Picatinny rail on it in place of the top handguard, with a red dot, and have a hell of a little truck gun then, and probably keep it under what they want for that Inland. Of course it wouldn't have the history or the CDI factor.

5:00 PM  
Blogger vmijpp said...

mule:

yep, i found some plainfield carbines, made to gi-specs in the 60s or 70s, on gunbroker.com for not much at all. might have bump this up on the priority list. you're right-- with a rail and optics and the right ammo this would a very capable gun.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I shop at Loudoun Guns, too. If you want to get together to go shooting, and don't mind the trip to Winchester, come on out; I need the encouragement. Bring S&H

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corbon, hunh?
How does it feed? I've only used FMJ at the range until now.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Judy said...


Dear Sir/Madam
I can consider myself as a lucky b eing after reading through your wonderful article.
However, i will request that you write more on the same topic to further expanciate on the knowledge
I have some suggested topics as you can see below. Kindly accept my comment so we can stay intouch with each other.
Ativan
buy ativan online
depression symptoms
Buy Ativan (Lorazepam) Online
buy lorazepam overnight delivery
buy benzodiazepines online
buy lorazepam online cheap
buy lorazepam online
buy lorazepam online canada
whow much cash does it take to buy 90 lorazepam 2mg?
can you take lorazepam while pregnant
lorazepam street name
what does a lorazepam pill look like
how long does lorazepam stay in your system
how long does lorazepam take to work for sleep
how much lorazepam to overdose
how many mg of lorazepam to overdose
kwhat is the medication lorazepam used for
what is lorazepam
percocet 10 325 espaƱol
vitaros cream reviews
buy ativan 2mg tablet
ativan 2mg tablet online order
ativan 2mg online order
where to buy anxiety medication in canada
Thanks very much for reading. We await your response.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home